Huntington Ingalls Industries FSG Master Tradesperson 3 in San Diego, California
FSG Master Tradesperson 3
113 - FSG MMTS - 11301 - SEMAT
External Job Description:
Employment is contingent upon candidate obtaining base access credentials*
The position will provide maintenance, repair and technical support to the customer. Operate and maintain a variety of inside machines shop equipment. Use technical documents (JFMM, Instructions, NSTM's, Military standards, Test memos, Test Standards, Drawings and Technical Manuals) that contain information required to accomplish work.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Machines, fabricates, refurbishes, and completes mechanical repair and testing in the shop and onboard ships.
• Performs machine repairs, manufactures, removals, repairs, overhauls, installations, alignments, troubleshoots, modifies, and tests on various ship’s components.
• Works with minimum supervision and make independent judgments and decisions within the framework of oral and written instructions and accepted trade practices, processes and procedures while accomplishing assignments.
• Determines speeds and feeds, coolants, lubricants or abrasives to be used to cut, turn, drill, mill, bore, tap, thread, ream, lap, hone, shape, and grind or finish item.
• Machines materials such as Stainless steels 300/400 series, Monel, K-Monel, copper, brass, nylon, Teflon, 6061-T6 Aluminum, 4140, 4130, various plastics.
• Reads, interprets, understands and works to the requirements of blueprints, sketches, work orders, geometric tolerances, blueprints note.
• Uses shop mathematics including trigonometry and geometry and hold tolerances .0001 of an inch.
• Maintains dimensional accuracy by inspection of part using various precision measuring instruments, including, but not limited to, sine plates, comparator, micrometers, calipers, v-blocks, angle plates, indicators, dial height gage, go/no-go gages, thread gages, surface gages and other measuring tools.
• Utilizes lathe turning tools, boring bars, inner diameter (ID) groovers, outer diameter (OD) groovers, part off tools, facing tools, special tools, knurling tools.
• Sets up and operates conventional machine tools, including horizontal lathes, vertical turret lathes, horizontal boring machines, radial arm drills, vertical and horizontal milling machines, bench grinders, ID and OD grinders, surface grinders, jig boring machines, hones, and other manual machine tools as required.
• Sharpens drills and reamers using drill sharpeners, and high speed and carbide cutting tools such as turning tools, threading, boring bars, end mills, taps and mill cutters using tool grinding machines including carbide grinders and pedestal grinders.
• Sets up and operates saws, cut off saws, abrasive cut off saws, sheet metal brake, hydraulic press, hand press, parts tumbler, belt sanders, and heat treating and hardening ovens.
Applies comprehensive understanding of production and processes toward completion of assignments. Responsible for interfacing with customers, managing subcontractors and ability to provide work direction to others. Performs a variety of complicated and non-routine tasks. Develops and uses technical documents including controlled work packages, formal work processes and procedures, test documents, reports and task or trip reports. Schedules, reports and briefs customers and senior management. Performs duties outside of specialty in order to complete installation or work assignment.
Must be able to lift, carry and transport heavy equipment and boxes. The exact weight requirements will be determined by the specific job, but no less than 30 lbs. Able to work on and climb ladders, work in extreme temperature environments, aboard ships, in shipyards, under industrial conditions and in confined spaces. Able to perform other duties as required which may involve high heat, humidity, noise and dirty conditions, working aloft or over the sides of vessels. May ride ships at sea for extended periods. May require wearing a respirator. Travel may be required within and outside of the continental United States.
Auto req ID:
FSG Master Tradesperson 3 (Inside Machinist)
HS education or Trade School + 4 years of related experience. Prefer technical/professional certifications. Must provide own hand tools as designated per trades specialty.
HII FLEET SUPPORT GROUP (0480)
Yes, 25% of the time
Huntington Ingalls Industries is America’s largest military shipbuilding company and a provider of professional services to partners in government and industry. For more than a century, HII’s Newport News Shipbuilding and Ingalls Shipbuilding divisions in Virginia and Mississippi have built more ships in more ship classes than any other U.S. naval shipbuilder. HII’s Technical Solutions division provides a wide range of professional services through its Fleet Support, Integrated Missions Solutions, Nuclear & Environmental, and Oil & Gas groups. Headquartered in Newport News, Virginia, HII employs nearly 37,000 people operating both domestically and internationally.
No relocation assistance available
High School Diploma/GED
San Diego-California-United States
US Citizenship Required for this Position:
Equal Opportunity Employer - Veterans/Disabled Welcome. U.S. citizenship required for most positions.