Huntington Ingalls Industries DESIGNER 3 in Newport News, Virginia
E44: Networks, Communicat
External Job Description:
With this opportunity, the department is looking for a senior and experienced Designer to serve in a capacity that will operate across sections for holistic approaches to department design responsibilities.
The candidate should be experienced in electrical design matters, preferably but not limited to Interior Communications and Networks. Working across sections in a matrix style position will afford the candidate a full spectrum of experiences. Along with that will be the necessity for the candidate to exercise leadership, engagement, inclusion, and people skills. An incumbent is recognized as a technical expert and is assigned tasks and responsibilities requiring the application of extensive experience, technical knowledge, communication skills and organizational ability. An incumbent performs design assignments under limited supervision while exercising appreciable latitude for independent action in determining design and layout conforming to Company policies and procedures.
This position is often responsible for leading and monitoring the work of other personnel on a task basis. This job is for a top-level designer demonstrating a broad knowledge of naval ship systems, as well as advanced design concepts and applications. Responsibilities include:
• Analyzes product or equipment specifications, customer design and concepts, contract plans, and related documents to develop designs for manufacturing. Monitors development tasks and prepares preliminary design calculations and concepts. Work may require the solution of routine engineering problems, including vibration, acoustic isolation, strength/weight efficiency, availability of materials, interchangeability and problems of related complexity.
• Acts as liaison between Program Management, Design, Construction, Manufacturing, Quality, etc., relative to design requirements. May aid in bid preparations by providing comprehensive man-hour estimates of design involvement on various jobs for supervisor review.
• Provides technical information concerning construction and manufacturing techniques and material properties. Resolves manufacturing or material deficiencies or changes through liaison with the appropriate departments.
• Reviews work on assigned tasks including layouts, arrangements, design, computations, and selection of material and equipment to ensure accuracy, completeness and compliance with Company and customer standards and specifications.
• Provides design concepts, details and data for the preparation of technical reports, procedures and correspondence concerning estimates, task progress and evaluations and status reports for system design review by management and engineering personnel.
• Plans and schedules work on assigned tasks. Assures compatibility with master schedules.
• Provides technical and developmental leadership and guidance to less-experienced design personnel, which may include input to Supervisor regarding developmental assignments, instruction, objectives and evaluations.
• Familiarity with CVN 78 Class design build strategy is required.
Designs components or portions of systems and modifies existing designs to develop or improve products and facilitate manufacturing operations. Utilizes computer-aided design equipment and/or graphic tools such as, CAD, CAM or CATIA. Gathers information, makes studies, computes calculations, and prepares original rough layouts, sketches to present design proposal. Coordinates design criteria with engineering, manufacturing, tooling, material, and planning group such as ease of manufacture, availability of materials, and contractual specifications. Exclude classifications in which incumbents predominantly perform drafting assignments.
Auto req ID:
Designer 3 - Electrical
Associate’s Degree and 3 years of experience. 2 years of related experience can be substituted for Associate’s degree. 4 years of non-related experience can be substituted for Associate’s degree. An Apprentice Certificate or graduation from Navy Nuclear Power School can be substituted for Associate’s degree.
NN SHIPBUILDING (0265)
Yes, 25% of the time
Huntington Ingalls Industries is America’s largest military shipbuilding company and a provider of professional services to partners in government and industry. For more than a century, HII’s Newport News Shipbuilding and Ingalls Shipbuilding divisions in Virginia and Mississippi have built more ships in more ship classes than any other U.S. naval shipbuilder. HII’s Technical Solutions division provides a wide range of professional services through its Fleet Support, Integrated Missions Solutions, Nuclear & Environmental, and Oil & Gas groups. Headquartered in Newport News, Virginia, HII employs nearly 37,000 people operating both domestically and internationally.
No relocation assistance available
Newport News-Virginia-United States
US Citizenship Required for this Position:
Equal Opportunity Employer - Veterans/Disabled Welcome. U.S. citizenship required for most positions.