Huntington Ingalls Industries DESIGNER 3 in Newport News, Virginia
E64: Aircraft Carrier
External Job Description:
Designs components or portions of systems and modifies existing designs to develop or improve products and facilitate manufacturing operations. Utilizes computer-aided design equipment and/or graphic tools such as, CAD, CAM or CATIA. Gathers information, makes studies, computes calculations, and prepares original rough layouts, sketches to present design proposal. Coordinates design criteria with engineering, manufacturing, tooling, material, and planning group such as ease of manufacture, availability of materials, and contractual specifications. Exclude classifications in which incumbents predominantly perform drafting assignments.
Auto req ID:
Associate’s Degree and 3 years of experience.
2 years of related experience can be substituted for Associate’s degree.
4 years of non-related experience can be substituted for Associate’s degree.
An Apprentice Certificate or graduation from Navy Nuclear Power School can be substituted for Associate’s degree.
NN SHIPBUILDING (0265)
Yes, 25% of the time
Huntington Ingalls Industries is America’s largest military shipbuilding company and a provider of professional services to partners in government and industry. For more than a century, HII’s Newport News Shipbuilding and Ingalls Shipbuilding divisions in Virginia and Mississippi have built more ships in more ship classes than any other U.S. naval shipbuilder. HII’s Technical Solutions division provides a wide range of professional services through its Fleet Support, Integrated Missions Solutions, Nuclear & Environmental, and Oil & Gas groups. Headquartered in Newport News, Virginia, HII employs nearly 37,000 people operating both domestically and internationally.
No relocation assistance available
Newport News-Virginia-United States
US Citizenship Required for this Position:
Equal Opportunity Employer - Veterans/Disabled Welcome. U.S. citizenship required for most positions.
Candidate should have preferred experience in:
• SAP: EBOMs and Forecasting
• i2 parts catalog: Creating, managing Newport News Part Numbers
• Cognos: utilize for reporting
• Read and understand Piping and Mechanical drawings (hardcopy & electronic)
• IHS: research Material & Manufacturing Specs.
• Communicating with multiple NNS departments including vendors.
• Responsibilities include technical design and repair of ships’ systems, material cataloging and procurement, and the review and development of technical documents to include ship component and system drawings, Inspection Reports and Bills of Material and the creation and maintenance of a new material procurement process, material cataloging involving part number development, specification management, and government property.