Huntington Ingalls Industries FITTER in Newport News, Virginia
External Job Description:
Fitters are often called the “CARPENTERS” of shipbuilding or “ARTISTS OF STEEL”.
• Fitters read, interpret, plan and execute from drawings and procedures.
• Fitters measure, cut, grind, fit, align and tack weld parts as small as your finger nail to the large sub-assemblies and super lifts that form the structural body of the ship.
• Fitters build in-place all interior structures, hatches, doors, bulkheads, etc., to complete all the steel work in the ship.
• A fitter will apply their skills in the shops, platens, dry-docks and onboard ships in support of new construction, ship repair and ship overhauls.
Auto req ID:
Fitter - Experienced (Carpentry/Construction)
• REQUIRED - Minimum of 3 years of Experience (Fitter, Carpentry, Construction, Sheet Metal, Welding, HVAC, Mechanical etc.) to be considered
• Must be able to pass a Physical Agility Test
• Must be able to learn to read, interpret and utilize blueprints
• Must be able to use a variety of tools and measuring devices during this process
• Must be able to learn to cut, grind, shape, fit and tack weld steel plates
• This is a construction environment involving extreme heights, confined spaces, physical labor and various weather conditions within a shipyard environment
• MUST be able to work ALL assigned shift hours as production needs dictate
• Must be able to wear a respirator
NN SHIPBUILDING (0265)
Huntington Ingalls Industries is America’s largest military shipbuilding company and a provider of professional services to partners in government and industry. For more than a century, HII’s Newport News and Ingalls shipbuilding divisions in Virginia and Mississippi have built more ships in more ship classes than any other U.S. naval shipbuilder. HII’s Technical Solutions division provides a wide range of professional services through its Fleet Support, Integrated Missions Solutions, Nuclear and Environmental, and Oil and Gas groups. Headquartered in Newport News, Virginia, HII employs nearly 37,000 people operating both domestically and internationally.
No relocation assistance available
Newport News-Virginia-United States
US Citizenship Required for this Position:
Equal Opportunity Employer - Veterans/Disabled Welcome. U.S. citizenship required for most positions.
High school graduate preferred.
Must be available to work all shifts.